Welcome back to Lamon Reviews. Today we have a memoir by Dennis Woods.
Remember to enter the giveaway later in the post for your chance to win. I would like to thank Goddesfish productions for our stop on this blog tour.With todays giveaway one randomly chosen winner via rafflecopter will win a $50 Amazon/BN.com gift card.
Black Flag Journals: One Soldier’s Experience in America’s Longest War
by Dennis Woods
The story of America’s longest war is complicated and difficult to convey, unless you were there. Dennis Woods was there. By following his stories in Iraq and Afghanistan, we can sense the enormity of his combat experiences. Originally written for his daughter, Black Flag Journals is taken from the author’s nine battle book journals. It covers his time from the fall of the Twin Towers through his last combat tour.
Black Flag Journals contains not just stories from the first war of the new century, but a day-by-day record of events that other veterans may use to relate their own experiences. All who enjoy real life stories, and followers of history will connect with this first person account of America’s longest war.
READ AN EXCERPT FROM BLACK FLAG JOURNALS BY DENNIS WOODS
The flight we were on this morning was an ordinary, run-of-the-mill resupply operation. Its purpose was to service Afghanistan’s numerous small camps and bases. What it carried, though, was not ordinary or run-of-the-mill. What we were delivering was an unusual allotment of artillery ammunition and GELON mounts. Part of my mission on this trip was about to be completed. However, once in the air, I was given a new defensive challenge to solve.
⚜Author Dennis Woods⚜
CSM Woods combat tours include
- Operation Urgent Fury, Grenada, 82d Airborne Division.
- Operation Desert Shield / Desert Storm, Saudi Arabia – Iraq, 82d Airborne Division.
- Operation Desert Fox 1998, Qatar, 5th Group Special Forces.
- OEF 2 Afghanistan, 82d Airborne Division.
- OIF 1 Iraq, First Armored Division.
- OIF 6 Iraq, First Armored Division.
- OEF X Afghanistan, 173D Airborne Brigade Combat Team.
- OEF XIII Afghanistan, 191st Infantry Brigade
CSM Woods civilian education includes
- a Master of Education, (training & leadership) from North Central University, Prescott AZ
- a Bachelor of Science from Excelsior, Albany, New York.
- United States Sergeants Majors Academy class # 58,
Military education includes
Drill Sergeant, US Army Recruiter, Infantry Small Arms Master Gunner, Artillery Master Gunner, Amphibious Warfare leaders’ course (USMC), Anti-Armor Leaders course, Machine Gun Leaders course, Artillery Mechanics repair course, Small Arms repair course, Nuclear Biological Chemical defense, and all levels of air load planning and hazmat certification USAF, the Army force management course, Jump Master.
CSM Woods awards include;
- one Distinguished Service medal
- 1 Humanitarian service medal
- ( 5) Bronze Star Medals
- one Legion Of Merit
- 5 Meritorious Service Medals
- 4 ARCOM
- 4 AAM
- 2 Armed Forces Expeditionary medals
- Afghanistan and Iraq service medals
- German Jump Master Wings
- Qatar Jump wings as part of 5th Group
- Netherlands Jumpmaster wings
- He is also the first recipient of the GRUBER award for an outstanding field artillery professional.
- Department of Defense “Inventor of the year” (2003) with 45 separate inventions. CSM Woods saved the United States Government over one Billion Dollars through cost avoidance.
CSM Woods is credited by the US Army Smart Ideas program as the inventor of;
• The 105mm Howitzer night direct fire sight system M913 GELON.
• The 155mm towed Howitzer night sight system.
• The dual use day/ night direct fire sight reticule.
• The Dual optic MILES Laser trainer.
• The Urban Assault kit (PALADIN) improved crew protection, 155mm system.
On his most recent tour to Afghanistan, CSM Woods pioneered the first use of artillery training rounds in combat as a form of scalable fire support designed to limit civilian death and collateral damage. He is the author of, ‘Black Flag Journals One Soldiers Experience in America’s Longest War’, and numerous magazine, newspaper articles, including training pamphlets concerning Artillery, night vision, and combat operations.
Where to find todays author!
📚Grab Your Copy Today📚
BOOK IS ON SALE FOR $2.99 DURING THE TOUR
🎉Enter Giveaway Below 🎉
*This contest is sponsored by a third party. Lamon Reviews is a registered host of Goddess Fish Promotions. Prizes are given away by the sponsors and not Lamon Reviews. The featured author and Goddess Fish Promotions are solely responsible for the giveaway prize.
One randomly chosen winner via rafflecopter will win a $50 Amazon/BN.com gift card.
I hope you enjoyed todays book and will give it a read. I always recommend memoirs for readers to know more about the many lives of authors and people that have made a difference to our world.
And As Always…
Go forth, dear readers, support your favorite indie authors and encourage reading and literacy.